First Annual Luso-Brazilian Review
Emerging Scholars Article Incubator
Application Deadline: April 15, 2023
The Luso-Brazilian Review invites applications for the first annual Emerging Scholars Article Incubator program. In the spirit of the LBR’s founders, who in the first issue promised to “encourage publication by younger [scholars],” the article incubator will provide support each year for one advanced graduate student or recent PhD to develop an article-length essay with the hope of preparing it for publication in the LBR. The selected scholar will hold a workshop at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (this year’s workshop will be held via Zoom) during which they will receive developmental feedback from the journal’s History and Social Science editors as well as other invited campus faculty who specialize in Lusophone and other relevant fields. If the awardee is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, they will receive a $1,000 stipend. After the workshop, the author will be invited to revise the article and submit for publication through the regular peer review process of the LBR. This process does not guarantee publication. Questions may be addressed to Marc Hertzman and Jerry Dávila at the following email: LBRarticleIncubator@gmail.com.
Guidelines and Materials:
- Applicant must be a graduate student or have been awarded their Ph.D. no earlier than December 2019;
- All application materials and the article manuscript must be submitted in English;
- Applicants must submit the following:
- Short writing sample (limit 5,000 words). The sample does not need to be related to the proposed article and should simply illustrate the author’s writing abilities
- 250-word cover page, including
- A clear description of the article, its primary argument(s), contributions to the literature, and source base.
- A clear indication of the current state of the article (conceptualized, outlined, fully drafted, etc.) and a timeline for completing a polished draft by August 15, 2023.
- Application materials due April 15, 2023 (11:59pm Central Time)
- Awardee announced by May 15, 2023
- Draft of full, polished article for workshop due August 15, 2023
- Workshop: September 2023
- Revised article submitted to the LBR by November 30, 2023