Print Ad Terms and Policies
Click here for online ad terms. Download a PDF of this page (Print Ad Terms).
- Invoices are issued at time of journal mailing.
- Discounts apply to each insertion when two or more reservations are made at the same time. Multiple insertions may be in the same issue, same volume, or your choice of two or more journals. 10% for two insertions, 15% for three insertions, 20% for four insertions.
- No cash discounts; no agency discounts.
- All ad copy must be approved by the publisher before insertion.
- No conditions appearing on the contract, order, or copy which conflict with the publisher's policies will be binding on the publisher.
- Failure to make the order correspond, in price or otherwise, with the rate schedule is regarded as only a clerical error, and publication is made and charged for upon the terms of the schedule in force without notice.
- If change of copy is not received by deadline, previous copy will be used.
- The publisher's liability for any error will not exceed the cost of the advertising space.
- Notice of cancellation must be received by closing date.
- Only cover positions are guaranteed.
Ad Creation Guidelines
See full artwork preparation information. In general, unless you have in-house design staff, we highly recommend using the services of a freelance professional graphic designer (see the yellow pages under “graphic design”), or an ad agency. We require press quality Adobe Acrobat PDF files, which will have fonts embedded, and images of at least 300 ppi, and in grayscale.
- Ads must be at final size per dimensions listed on individual journals Advertising page, with no bleeds (see links at right under Advertising Rates & Deadlines).
- Please provide grayscale art. If possible, please convert black & white ads to grayscale in Acrobat Pro, pre-press tools. We do not accept RGB or CMYK ads for print. Exceptions: Native Plants Journal accepts color ads, and American Orthoptic Journal may accept a color ad in limited circumstances.
- For color ads (only available for Native Plants Journal and American Orthoptic Journal in limited circumstances) we require a PDF file, in CMYK. Any color images should have a resolution of 350 ppi.
- If at all possible, art should be created from electronic files, NOT scans. If absolutely necessary, artwork may be scanned, with a resolution of at least 300 dpi and at final reproduction size.
- Convert fonts to outlines before exporting.
- We do not accept ads created in Microsoft Word or Publisher. Please use a graphics program such as Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, or Quark to create your press quality PDF.
Creating Press Quality PDF Files
When creating PDF format files for publication in UW Press Journals, all raster-based graphics (i.e. photos, scans, etc.) must be at least 300 dpi at reproduction size. Please check that the settings for PDF export or Adobe Acrobat Distiller are set so as not to downsample to less than 300 dpi. Also be sure that all fonts are set to be embedded. Using the “Press Quality” settings should produce the desired results.
Advertisers should send press quality PDF files by email attachment to our Advertising Manager at email@example.com. The PDF must have all fonts embedded and be in grayscale color space. If in doubt, please choose “Press Quality” for PDF output.
If you have questions, please complete and submit our online form or contact our advertising manager at:
The University of Wisconsin Press
1930 Monroe St., 3rd Floor
Madison, WI 53711
fax (608) 263-1173
Advertising Rates & Deadlines
American Orthoptic Journal
Journal of Human Resources
Native Plants Journal