The University of Wisconsin Press
Eat Smart in Germany
How to Decipher the Menu, Know the Market Foods & Embark on a Tasting Adventure
Savor the many flavors of Germany to better understand culture, traditions, and heritage.
Michelin-rated restaurants and street-vendor fare earn equal time in the newest release of the internationally acclaimed Eat Smart culinary guidebook series. That means exploring the currywurst and doner kebabs of Berlin, then spicy crepes with venison and cherries at the Hotel Sackmann in the Black Forest.
Authentic German dining begins with sausage, rouladen, potato salad, gingerbread, and strudel—but so much more defines and influences the cuisine. Consider the verve with which Kiel residents devour sprats (young herring) near the Baltic and North seas. Or the pride that people in the village of Bautzen take in serving a centuries-old recipe for Sorbian soup.
Eat Smart in Germany connects menus and markets to geography, history, and regional pride. In the book are these practical and fun features:
• dozens of delicious recipes from chefs and other food experts that allow travelers and cookbook lovers to recreate the cuisine
• a Menu Guide that demystifies food selection, allowing visitors to order with confidence
• a Food and Flavors Guide that provides a comprehensive list of foods, spices, cooking styles, and more to assist shoppers at colorful outdoor markets
• an explanation of culinary history that covers the origins and varieties of ingredients, regional recipes, and well-known German favorites
• a translation of useful phrases that eases the challenge of shopping for food or placing an order in restaurants
• glossaries that introduce food and cooking terms in German and English.
Mary Bergin of Madison, Wisconsin, is a lifelong professional journalist whose writing forte is food and travel. Her award-winning books about Wisconsin and the Midwest demonstrate an intense interest in regional quirks and specialties.
For more information regarding publicity and reviews contact our publicity manager, phone: (608) 263-0734, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Of related interest, from Ginkgo Press:
There are eleven other titles in the Eat Smart series, so you can embark on tasting adventures to Norway, France, Brazil, Mexico, Poland, Peru, Moroco, Turkey, Sicily, India, and Indonesia.
PAPERBACK ORIGINAL December 2012
160 pp. 5.5 x 8.5
8-page color insert, 13 b/w illus.,
Paper $14.95 t
Adobe Digital Edition
About our e-books
Printing and cut/paste allowed, access on six different devices.
Click here for a further explanation of the shopping cart feature.
For more information, see eatsmartguides.com
Home | Books | Journals | Events | Textbooks | Authors | Related | Search | Order | Contact
If you have trouble accessing any page in this web site, contact our Web manager.
Updated April 19, 2013© 2013 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System